Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Tenth Kingdom

Before I begin this review, I would like to apologize for having been gone for so long.  I have been working hard on getting myself ready for college, and knowing that I leave tonight is a little frightening.  I am excited and nervous, but I guess we will see how things go when I get there.

The Tenth Kingdom was originally a Hallmark miniseries, but is now available as a 3 disc or 3 video set, as well as a book (VERY difficult to track down, I think my aunt found mine in Virginia).

It tells the story of Tony and Virginia Lewis as they leave their modern day New York and head into the mystical Nine Kingdoms-each one belonging to a different kind of mystical being.  They learn of the Five Great Ladies (Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel, Gretel, Cinderella) who changed the future of the Kingdoms.  All they really want to do, however, is GO HOME.  They spend most of their time tracking down the mirror that transported them there, and Wolf (one of their companions) just really wants Virginia to fall in love with him...and their fourth companion, Prince, is actually Prince Wendell who was turned into a dog by the evil queen (also his wicked stepmother) and he wants to save the Kingdoms, be coronated, and go back to his human form.

I really liked how the fairy tales were used.  It wasn't the new Disney versions but the old fashioned ACTUAL stories..For example, when Snow White married her Prince Charming, they made the Evil Stepmother dance in red hot iron shoes as entertainment at the wedding, and these same shoes play a role in this movie.

The acting can be cheesy at times, but the movie is so gripping that it's length (7 hours) has done nothing to stop me from watching it ten times (and reading the book).

I have no choice but to give The Tenth Kingdom 5 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. NOT FAIR hehehehehe can you post the film here so we can all see it? :D Please Lady of the Willow Whip? I'd love to watch it,,, your words got me a lil addicted.. Please and Thank you !!

    ReplyDelete